Thanks to Donna for this week’s post whose blog site can be accessed HERE.
MB harks (or harps!) back to an old post to take up this week’s photo challenge – Over The Hill, and he includes a link to that post below for those interested in reading the full story/post.
In St. John’s Church graveyard in the village of Knockainey, mere spitting distance from MB’s HX locality back home, lies a most intriguing gravestone. The gravestone inscription tells the tale of one John Murphy, who was well over the hill – more than 100 years before he actually died!
New Church (In Gaelic – Teampall Nua) There is an old church ruin called ‘New Church’ (or ‘Teampall Nua’ in the Irish Gaelic language) back in HX, next to Lough Gur lake (check out loughgur.com).
Teampall Nua was built in 1679 and replaced an older chapel which was used by the local Earls of Desmond. It is still referred to as New Church (or by its Gaelic name) to this day. It was endowed with a chalice and patten which bear the inscription:
“The guift of the Right Honourable Rachel Countess Dowager of Bath to her chappel att Loughgur in the Kingdom of Ireland Anno Domini 1679”
The famous Irish poet/harpist Thomas O’ Connellan, who died in 1698 in nearby Bourchiers Castle, is buried here in an unmarked grave, as is Owen Bresnan (1847-1912), local poet and historian.
Major panic last night. Laptop conked out when battery died. MB tried to recharge, but over period of few hours battery just wouldn’t take charge, and normally obedient laptop downright refused to turn on. What to do at time like that?!