Posted on August 29, 2019
Posted on September 16, 2013
New Church (In Gaelic – Teampall Nua)
There is an old church ruin called ‘New Church’ (or ‘Teampall Nua’ in the Irish Gaelic language) back in HX, next to Lough Gur lake (check out loughgur.com).
Teampall Nua was built in 1679 and replaced an older chapel which was used by the local Earls of Desmond. It is still referred to as New Church (or by its Gaelic name) to this day. It was endowed with a chalice and patten which bear the inscription:
“The guift of the Right Honourable Rachel Countess Dowager of Bath to her chappel att Loughgur in the Kingdom of Ireland Anno Domini 1679”
The famous Irish poet/harpist Thomas O’ Connellan, who died in 1698 in nearby Bourchiers Castle, is buried here in an unmarked grave, as is Owen Bresnan (1847-1912), local poet and historian.
It's a mad HX world!