The HX region has over 5,500 years of continuous human habitation dating to the neolithic period. On the road between HX crossroads and the nearby lake of Lough Gur lies the ruins of an old church called Teampall Nua (New Church – in English language), which dates from the 17th century.
From The Lough Gur website (loughgur.com):
New Church replaced an older chapel which was used by the Earls of Desmond. The present structure dates from 1679 – a simple rectangular building. It was endowed with a chalice and patten which bear the inscription: “The guift of the Right Honourable Rachel Countess Dowager of Bath to her chapel-of-ease Logh Guir, Ireland 1679” The famed poet harper Thomas O’Connellan who died in 1698 in Bourchiers Castle is buried here in an unmarked grave as is Owen Bresnan (1847-1912) local poet and historian who composed Teampall Nua and Sweet Lough Gur side.
New Church (In Gaelic – Teampall Nua) There is an old church ruin called ‘New Church’ (or ‘Teampall Nua’ in the Irish Gaelic language) back in HX, next to Lough Gur lake (check out loughgur.com).
Teampall Nua was built in 1679 and replaced an older chapel which was used by the local Earls of Desmond. It is still referred to as New Church (or by its Gaelic name) to this day. It was endowed with a chalice and patten which bear the inscription:
“The guift of the Right Honourable Rachel Countess Dowager of Bath to her chappel att Loughgur in the Kingdom of Ireland Anno Domini 1679”
The famous Irish poet/harpist Thomas O’ Connellan, who died in 1698 in nearby Bourchiers Castle, is buried here in an unmarked grave, as is Owen Bresnan (1847-1912), local poet and historian.