Posted on March 16, 2016
MB has mentioned the hill of Knockadoon in recent posts. In the below photo, the 16th century Bouchiers Castle is visible left of pic. The ruins of a 13th-century castle, called Black Castle, also lie within the treescape of the hill, but it’s not visible on MB’s shot.
Knockadoon contains one of Ireland’s four secret entrances to the land of everlasting youth, or Tír Na Nóg in the Irish Gaelic language (pronounced – teer-na-noog). Each of the four provinces of Ireland contains one entrance, which are known only to a select few Knights of Nóg. HX blog followers can guess whether or not MB is such a Knight, but MB’s not saying. However, MB’s extremely youthful looks for his age may give followers a pointer.
Other than the above, MB is not at liberty to say much more about the sacred historical hill which contains many secrets.
Posted on March 12, 2016
MB returned to his Middle East abode last night after a week long trip back home. Many snaps were snapped in the HX locality and MB has decided to share some of the best with followers over the coming days.
The castle sits on privately owned land next to the lake entrance, beside the farmhouse of the land owners. Given the amount of trees surrounding the structure, it is actually quite difficult to get a decent shot of it. But in the winter and spring seasons, when the trees are naked & bare, such an opportunity is granted by the Gods.
From the loughgur.com website:
The present structure is thought to date from the early 1600s during the reign of James I, but it replaced an earlier castle on the same site and some of the earlier features are incorporated into it. It is a typical tower house and there were defensive outworks and a causeway on its approach. After the plantation of Munster and the fall of the Earls of Desmond, the lands at Lough Gur were granted to Sir George Bouchier, son of the second Earl of Bath.
Posted on March 13, 2015
The HX region has over 5,500 years of continuous human habitation dating to the neolithic period. On the road between HX crossroads and the nearby lake of Lough Gur lies the ruins of an old church called Teampall Nua (New Church – in English language), which dates from the 17th century.
From The Lough Gur website (loughgur.com):
New Church replaced an older chapel which was used by the Earls of Desmond. The present structure dates from 1679 – a simple rectangular building. It was endowed with a chalice and patten which bear the inscription: “The guift of the Right Honourable Rachel Countess Dowager of Bath to her chapel-of-ease Logh Guir, Ireland 1679” The famed poet harper Thomas O’Connellan who died in 1698 in Bourchiers Castle is buried here in an unmarked grave as is Owen Bresnan (1847-1912) local poet and historian who composed Teampall Nua and Sweet Lough Gur side.
A piece by Thomas O’Connellan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Blt9B16TIQ
Pics by MB!
It's a mad HX world!