MB has oft mentioned Lough Gur lake in posts of his HX homeland. He has told you a little of the mystique of the lake, and the fact that one of the adjoining hills (called Knockadoon) is home to one of the four Irish entrances to the Land of Everlasting Youth, called ‘Tír Na Nóg’ in the Irish Gaelic. The entrance, as MB has also previously informed you, is secret and is known only to certain ‘Guardians’ (such as MB). It is also heavily guarded by the fairies, and it is no easy task to get past them. Beware of HX fairies dear followers. Read More
New Church (Teampall Nua – in the Irish Gaelic language).
New Church lies on the HX to Lough Gur road and sits on the edge of the lake shore. There is a great view across the lake to Grange House from the church grounds which MB has featured in some photos included in recent posts.
From the loughgur.com website: “New Church replaced an older chapel which was used by the Earls of Desmond. The present structure dates from 1679 – a simple rectangular building. It was endowed with a chalice and patten which bear the inscription:
“The guift of the Right Honourable Rachel Countess Dowager of Bath to her chapel-of-ease Logh Guir, Ireland 1679”
The famed poet harper Thomas O’Connellan who died in 1698 in Bourchiers Castle is buried here in an unmarked grave as is Owen Bresnan (1847-1912) local poet and historian who composed Teampall Nua and Sweet Lough Gur side.”
MB returned to his Middle East abode last night after a week long trip back home. Many snaps were snapped in the HX locality and MB has decided to share some of the best with followers over the coming days.
The castle sits on privately owned land next to the lake entrance, beside the farmhouse of the land owners. Given the amount of trees surrounding the structure, it is actually quite difficult to get a decent shot of it. But in the winter and spring seasons, when the trees are naked & bare, such an opportunity is granted by the Gods.
From the loughgur.com website: The present structure is thought to date from the early 1600s during the reign of James I, but it replaced an earlier castle on the same site and some of the earlier features are incorporated into it. It is a typical tower house and there were defensive outworks and a causeway on its approach. After the plantation of Munster and the fall of the Earls of Desmond, the lands at Lough Gur were granted to Sir George Bouchier, son of the second Earl of Bath.
Bouchiers Castle, Lough Gur, County Limerick, Ireland